Is there a way to get the default local charset/encoding for a device?
I.e., I'd like to get e.g. ISO-8859-1, windows-1251, ISO-2022-CN, or
whatever is common in the device's default locale (and supported by
the device), not UTF-8 like Charset.defaultCharset() or
System.getProperty("file.encoding") will return.
Reason is, I'd like to read text files the user creates on his desktop
PC, which, sadly, most of the times still use the old local
encodings... While of course it's useful to offer an encoding
selection (which I'll offer in the preferences), it'd be nice if the
most likely encoding would be used by default...