Note that 2.3 is going to allow this in a generic manner.  Look at the
release notes about "overscrolling"

Support for overscroll

New support for overscroll in Views and Widgets. In Views,
applications can enable/disable overscroll for a given view, set the
overscoll mode, control the overscroll distance, and handle the
results of overscrolling.
In Widgets, applications can control overscroll characteristics such
as animation, springback, and overscroll distance. For more
information, see android.view.View and android.widget.OverScroller.
ViewConfiguration also provides methods getScaledOverflingDistance()
and getScaledOverscrollDistance().
New overScrollMode, overScrollFooter, and overScrollHeader attributes
for <ListView> elements, for controlling overscroll behavior.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.html
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/OverScroller.html