This is the workaround I came up with, but it's not perfect, because
the search UI hides and shows again, instead of staying onscreen and
just putting the query in the QSB search field.

    @Override
    protected void onNewIntent(Intent intent) {
        // TODO need to handle different cases, whether user tapped
suggestion or hit the 'go' button
        if (Intent.ACTION_SEARCH.equals(intent.getAction())) {
            String query = intent.getStringExtra(SearchManager.QUERY);
            Toast.makeText(this, "TRY TO PLACE QUERY IN QSB: " +
query, Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
            SearchManager searchManager =
(SearchManager)getSystemService(Context.SEARCH_SERVICE);
            Bundle b = intent.getBundleExtra(SearchManager.APP_DATA);
            searchManager.startSearch(query, true,
this.getComponentName(), b, false);
        }
    }