I read this on android-developers.blogspot.com, from Dianna:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/02/android-30-fragments-api.html

Quote:
"To address this, we plan to have the same fragment APIs (and the new
LoaderManager as well) described here available as a static library
for use with older versions of Android"

... where "this" is the issue you're asking about.

One thing i'm not quite understanding:
"Our goal is to make these APIs nearly identical, so you can start
using them now and, at whatever point in the future you switch to
Android 3.0 as your minimum version, move to the platform’s native
implementation with few changes in your app."

What happens before our app's minimum version is set to Android 3.0?
We would ship the app with the static library. This would mean that
even Android 3.0 (and higher) devices would run this static library
instead of its 'native' implementation. Or will there be some 'magic'
compatibility code that kicks in making use of the 'native'
imlementation?