yes it's called on the UI thread. There's nothing special about the
invocation; in the test case I click the button (using
View.performClick) that brings up the dialog, but it crashes on the
show() method. Up to that point, everything checks out. It must be
something specific to how Dialogs are handled in ActivityUnitTestCase.

What I don't understand is: I realize that AUTC does not actually
launch the application, it pretty much just instantiates the Activity
directly and then calls its onCreate method. But it does inject a
Window object, and the Dialog seems to be referencing that, so what's
the difference to, say, showing a Toast (although I admit I didn't try
showing toasts in a unit test, maybe that crashes, too).