FWIW, my Motorola Milestone (not a Droid2, but same manufacturer and roughly same hardware) drops from DDMS every few hours.

When that happens, I still see it in the DDMS view, but it goes from "Online" to "Offline" - which does your bad one show?

I then unplug it from the computer, wait for Windows to make the "usb disconnected" sound, and plug it back in. After that it works for a while again.

-- Kostya