Is there a way to keep a network connection such as WLAN alive when
the handset pauses? I could not find this in the documentation (not
sure if this is possible). Here's where I am at:

Doing some clean-up work on an app, I've wrapped a background Thread
in a Service. This background Thread polls a server in a regular
interval, e.g. 30s, but of courses fails as soon as network
connectivity is closed by the device as a result of going into paused
state. So my motivation to wrap this background Thread in a Service
was not only to conform to Androids app model, but more so in the hope
to keep the network connectivity alive when the device pauses. In my
implementation, the background Thread is started in onServiceConnect()
of the ServiceConnection which is bound to the Service. With that in
place, I hopefully checked the app logs which show connectivity in the
hope that the fact that the background Thread is now wrapped in a
Service layer would indeed keep the network connectivity alive when
the device pauses. No such luck however. It does not seem to make a
difference, so I am wondering if there's a way to keep network
connectivity alive when the device pauses... TIA.