11.02.2011 21:53, Danielle Murkerson пишет:
Ok...so I would need to use some kind of listener for the between time of the app loading and starting? I mean I see this all the time on other apps so I was just wondering how they do this?

The distinction, if any, between loading and starting, is entirely in your code.

Android brings your process into memory, creates the main activity, and starts calling its lifecycle methods: onCreate, onStart, onResume, and off you go.

If you have a lengthly operation (to load textures in a game, unpack compressed RSS stream, etc.), then you can:

1. have your main activity set its content to a splash image;
2. schedule lengthy operations on a background thread, AsyncTask (or any other way that doesn't tie up the UI); 3. handshake back to the main activity when those lengthy operations are completed, and present the UI for interacting with your application.

Item 2 is a good idea anyway, because if you run a lengthy operation in one of the above lifecycle callbacks (onCreate, etc.), and it exceeds the time limit allowed by Android, then the user will see the ANR popup (Application Not Responding - giving the user a choice to kill it or to give it more time).

Usually you click the launcher icon and then an image is displayed for a short time and then the app starts. I assumed the image is used as a placeholder while the app finishes loading.

I believe Android just animates a mock-up of the activity, based on what it can gather from the manifest (the color scheme and the title). This happens before onCreate.

--
Kostya Vasilyev -- WiFi Manager + pretty widget -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com