With the supplied ListView you can also override a heap of stuff to
make it look very different from a 'standard' list.  Personally I
think I would always start from the default.

Some of the guys on the Sony Ericsson developer blog did a nice
tutorial around 3d lists:
http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/developerworld/2010/05/20/android-tutorial-making-your-own-3d-list-part-1/.

I thought for a while about doing something clever like that, but
ultimately decided that what I was really doing was writing an app
that needed a ListView rather than writing a ListView with an app
attached.