Application (taken to mean the application's process) != Actvity (or Service or Receiver or ContentProvider, substitute your own component here).

It's true that you should shut down any unneeded tasks and threads in your activity's onDestroy (actually, more like onPause), but the process is kept around.

Quoting from the Dev Guide (emphasis mine):

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html#procthread

*Android may decide to shut down a process at some point*, when memory is low and required by other processes that are more immediately serving the user. Application components running in the process are consequently destroyed. A process is restarted for those components when there's again work for them to do.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html#proclife

*The Android system tries to maintain an application process for as long as possible*, but eventually it will need to remove old processes when memory runs low. To determine which processes to keep and which to kill, Android places each process into an "importance hierarchy" based on the components running in it and the state of those components. Processes with the lowest importance are eliminated first, then those with the next lowest, and so on.

-- Kostya