I'm trying to figure out how to get my app to handle browser-initiated
downloads for BOTH of two scenarios.  The files are identical in both
cases, and have names that end in .xwd.  In scenario #1 I control the
http server and can send the file with a custom mime type.  In
scenario #2 the user gets the .xwd file from some random website.

For the first, I want my app to get the file without user interaction.
In the second, because .xwd has multiple meanings, the user should get
a choice between my app and others that handle it.

I can get each of these to work individually, but not both at the same
time.  I've messed around with intent-filters in my
AndroidManifest.xml, and I've even gone so far as to implement two
Activity subclasses, one for each scenario and each with its own
intent-filter.  What happens is that the mime-type filter (or class)
only works if the pathPattern filter (or class) is not present.  As
soon as they're both there the user's always asked to pick which app
should handle the download even if it's coming from my server with my
custom mime type.

(Which would be fine except that some users do the wrong thing, or
even set the wrong thing as their default.  You know how that
goes....)

Is there any way to do this?  I can provide some .xml, but the fact
that it doesn't work even with two separate Activity subclasses makes
me think that better .xml isn't the solution.

Thanks,

--Eric