> When I run this in the Android emulator, I get the cool and funky
> characters, but I do not when I run it on my device.

If you will be posting technical question be next time more precise.
We do not know what characters are "cool and funky" for you and most
won't bother guessing.

> the device was native to Algeria, the characters would display as they
> do in the emulator. Is my assumption a good one?

If I guess your problem right your phone crashes on parseDouble()? If
so it looks close to case I had and it looked device disliked "," as
decimal separator (while it worked fine on  simulator) and expected
".". Substituting all commas with dots prior parsing solved the issue.
If this is not your case post the stack trace from device having
problem.

--
Regards,
Marcin