>From what I've read on some other sites retrieving the MAC with the
Wifi off will not always return a valid MAC (as in my case) and some
devices don't have Wifi at all.

One site as an example :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4468248/unique-id-of-android-device

Quoted from that site  : "You can get MAC address if network-device
(Bluetooth etc.) is enabled in the system (turned on). But device may
have bluetooth or wi-fi etc. or nothing"

Seems like possibly using some of the other ID's in conjunction with a
user/pass would be the best bet and updating the changes if and when
they occur.

My application has been out in the market for over a year now and I
can definitely say that the ANDROID_ID is NOT unique in a lot of
cases.