I asked a co-worker to make a Linphone VOIP call to me and while the
call was in progress, I made a regular cell phone call to my wife.
I was able to hear their voices simultaneously. This was surprising.

When I play an audio clip on my cell phone and then make a cell phone
call out, the media player correctly pauses and does not play until
the call ends – thereupon it resumes playing.

What decides that the media player audio should be muted during a cell
phone call?
Why didn't it get muted during the VOIP call?

(Android 2.1. HTC Slide)