Kostya,

Unless I misread it, ACRA is good for catching thrown exceptions and
automatically sending them to the developer.  I am looking for something
will allow me to create a trace file.  Essentially, I'm looking for a
good way to trap the kind of output that I might otherwise send to
syslog (via Log.d) but do it such that I can collect the trace and have
the app email it upon request.  Can ACRA do this?

I also looked at microlog4android but the documentation is not easy to
follow and it looks like alot of work.

A helpful soul in this group provide me some starter classes that will
log a trace into a database.  I can then access the database when I want
and extract what I am looking for.

Can you suggest some other alternative?

Getting back to the original topic, so a Content Provider is a good
paradigm to use across the board even if the database is only meant to
be used internally?

...Jake

   KV> Jake,

   KV> ContentProvider isn't just for exporting data.

   KV> One useful thing it provides is data change notifications (based
   KV> on data URIs). In practice, it means that ListViews with content
   KV> provider-supplied data refresh automatically, and it's really
   KV> easy to make other UI elements also update automatically by
   KV> registering data change observers.

   KV> Another useful thing is that it forces you to map your data into
   KV> a hierarchical URI-based scheme. This, IMO, results in a cleaner
   KV> conceptual model for your data.

   KV> Yet another is that you can easily pass data references between
   KV> activities by using a data URI.

   KV> On the other hand, with content providers you can't just run a
   KV> raw sql statement whenever you feel like it - all data access is
   KV> structured, so you've got to do some planning first.

   KV> Howerver, for debug info, I probably wouldn't bother with a
   KV> content provider or a database at all. Just a text log file, with
   KV> timestamps, so it can be cross-referenced with the logcat (if you
   KV> can collect that too).

   KV> And speaking of debug reports - have you looked at ready-made
   KV> solutions for this? For example, this one is often recommended on
   KV> this list:

   KV> http://code.google.com/p/acra/

   KV> -- Kostya

   KV> 28.02.2011 0:18, Jake Colman пишет:
   >> What are best practices?  My app will use a private database to store
   >> debug information.  Should I create it as a content provider and do my
   >> own data access that way or, since I do not intend to publish this
   >> database for anyone else to use, there is no point?  Is best practice to
   >> alway wrap database access through a content provider?
   >>

   KV> --
   KV> Kostya Vasilyev -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com

   KV> --

Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer