As I read your reply, I somehow remember the saying of Ben Franklin
from his Wit and Wisdom, "Quarrels would be neither bitter nor long,
if on one side -only-, lay the wrong".

This is because, yes, Shane did not need to be rude. But even after
having defended Dianne's answer in another post, I now feel the need
to point out how her answer was not an example of sterling politeness,
either. Even though she was 100% correct to warn against hard coding
package names.

In your own words, "none of the backlash would have happened" if
Dianne has not been, true to style, so extremely curt, writing just
like so many highly accomplished technical people who get everything
technically correct, but everything that is not technical not correct:
(

One should expect a backlash when two out of three sentences read like
an impatient mother scolding a child, starting out with such an abrupt
imperative, "Don't".

Nor is it often considered helpful to say "Don't do A" without
proposing an -alternative- to A. Speaking of alternatives, it
surprises me no one has noticed yet: Dianne's prohibition was not on
using package names, but on using HARD-CODED package names. Why has no
one mentioned alternatives? Put the package name in a configuration
file somewhere, or (even more extreme, in my opinion), pull it down
from a server, so that it can be changed when the package name
changes, without having to download a new APK. Surely Shane can get
the client to accept that.