I went through the XML example that mark provided as that is the way I would
prefer it.
Now my code is
@Override
     public boolean onCreateOptionsMenu(Menu menu) {
         MenuInflater inflater = getMenuInflater();
         inflater.inflate(R.menu.game_menu, menu);
         return true;
     }

     public boolean onOptionsItemSelected(MenuItem item){
         switch (item.getItemId()) {
            case R.id.ng:
                setBoard();
                return true;
            case R.id.rs:
                wins = 0;
                 draws = 0;
                 loses = 0;
                 won.setText("Won: " + wins);
                 lost.setText("Lost: " + loses);
                 drawn.setText("Drawn: " + draws);
                 setBoard();
                return true;
            default:
                return super.onOptionsItemSelected(item);
            }

     }
and the xml is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<menu xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
    <item android:id="@+id/ng"
          android:title="New Game" />
    <item android:id="@+id/rs"
          android:title="Reset Score" />
</menu>

Even now whenever I tap one of the options it fails to do anything.

Anything else I am doing Wrong?