Is there a way to gain CALL_PHONE permission when the program runs?
For instance, could this app get CALL_PHONE when it happens to be
running on a phone, and when it's on the XOOM, it does not provide the
feature set that requires CALL_PHONE? If that decision can't be made
at runtime, then two separate apps would have to be developed.

BTW: CALL_PHONE makes a lot of sense to me for an aviation weather
app. Weather is usually the determining factor for when you file a
flight plan, and you can a lot get a lot of extra weather information
by calling the weather office. The app could dial from a list of
station phone numbers along the route you're looking at.