I'm beyond tired of pushing the power button on my Evo to turn it on,
then swipe down go get the pattern grid, then finally swipe my pattern
to get into the GUI.

I know I can turn off all that stuff manually (each and every time,
with Menu > Settings > and confirmations and all this BS), but then I
have no easy way to actually "lock" my phone when I want to. So for
example, if I have my phone in my pocket all day, or I'm driving in my
car, then I don't want to do the magic incantation every few minutes,
but say I set it down on my desk at work to go to the bathroom or
something, or in my case -- I have a very nosey girlfriend who will
snoop through my phone when I'm home, I want to then lock it.

On the PalmOS, I could push the power button off and on all day long
and go in and out of the GUI without password prompt. Then on my GUI
screen I had a little "lock" icon to press and it and it would then
lock my screen and require a password to unlock again. Rinse repeat.
It gave me the control to decide when I need a password lock or when I
just wanted to turn the screen off to conserve battery.

It seems stupid to me that apparently this sort of functionality WAS
available in previous Android versions, and Google decided to neuter
the OS and impose what THEY believe is the right security. Isn't that
up to the users to decide? The fact that the OS doesn't work this way
by default is baffling enough, but when they then break/cripple apps
that tried to make up for the deficiency is ludicrous -- especially
when a 15 year old phone had this built in. There's a lot of things
with Android I see that they should have just looked at PalmOS when
the modeled their OS. It's like they wrote Android in a vacuum and
didn't even consider that maybe somebody else already did that (and
did it better, so just copy what they did).