When this problem manifests, are you able to turn Airplane mode on
successfully and then off successfully?

I've often encountered a similar problem with 2.1 emulator, found that
by turning on Airplane mode and quickly closing emulator, sometimes
upon re-opening emulator it has not got Airplane mode selected (though
it should since I'd set it on), while other times it will be on...when
its on, I can then turn it off et voila GSM connectivity gets
established.

Interested to know if this dodgy workaround works in your cases!