Take a look at Ed Burnette's comment on this blog:

http://androidguys.com/?p=2084

"The simplest way is to implement onRetainNonConfigurationInstance()
to save some data that will be kept across the destroy. You use
getLastNonConfigurationInstance() in the new instance of the Activity
to recover that information. You can keep anything, even a reference
to your current Intent or references to running Threads."

Hope this helps.