Ahh, you are right, HTC has it reversed. The Y value needs to be
negated for both the accelerometer and compass to align with the
documentation:

A constant describing an accelerometer. Sensor values are acceleration
in the X, Y and Z axis, where the X axis has positive direction toward
the right side of the device, the Y axis has positive direction toward
the top of the device and the Z axis has positive direction toward the
front of the device. The direction of the force of gravity is
indicated by acceleration values in the X, Y and Z axes. The typical
case where the device is flat relative to the surface of the Earth
appears as -STANDARD_GRAVITY in the Z axis and X and Z values close to
zero. Acceleration values are given in SI units (m/s^2)