Thanks very much for the fast responses!
I don't like the string concatention because the UI looks way better
if I can make the message text a different color and size.

Any suggestions on where to look to make my RadioGroup smart enough to
look down the hierarchy or to drop the RadioGroup but keep the
RadioButtons and manage their states by setting an
onCheckedChangeListener? That would be my preferred solution, but I'm
having trouble figuring out how to approach that.