My app makes extensive use of this:

sqldb.execSQL("ATTACH DATABASE ? AS mydb", new String[] { dbFile.getPath()
});

where the dbFile is stored on External Storage.

The Honeycomb emulator confirms the File.exists() but when I query the
database, it's as if the database hasn't been attached at all.

Also SQLiteDatabase.getAttachedDbs() only returns <"main", ":memory:"> -
i.e. a single-item list.

The code works fine in 1.5 through to 2.3.

And I'm not the only one experiencing this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5108964/attached-databases-in-honeycomb