Hello,

TYPE_ACCELEROMETER uses the accelerometer and only the accelerometer.
It returns raw accelerometer events, with minimal or no processing at
all.

TYPE_GYROSCOPE (if present) uses the gyroscope and only the gyroscope.
Like above, it returns raw events (angular speed un rad/s) with no
processing at all (no offset / scale compensation).

TYPE_ORIENTATION is deprecated. It returns the orientation as yaw/
pitch/roll in degres. It's not very well defined and can only be
relied upon when the device has no "roll". This sensor uses a
combination of the accelerometer and the magnetometer. Marginally
better results can be obtained using SensorManager's helpers. This
sensor is heavily "processed".

TYPE_LINEAR_ACCELERATION, TYPE_GRAVITY, TYPE_ROTATION_VECTOR are
"fused" sensors which return respectively the linear acceleration,
gravity and rotation vector (a quaternion). It is not defined how
these are implemented.
On some devices they are implemented in h/w, on some devices they use
the accelerometer + the magnetometer, on some other devices they use
the gyro.

On Nexus S and Xoom, the gyroscope is currently NOT used. They behave
as if there was no gyro available, like on Nexus One or Droid. We are
planing to improve this situation in a future release.

Currently, the only way to take advantage of the gyro is to use
TYPE_GYROSCOPE and integrate the output by hand.

I hope this helps,

Mathias