I have reviewed the developer documentation on App Widgets and I found
that some of my fundamental questions are not really being addressed.
I'd like to raise some of them here to see if anyone here can send me an
RTFM link or a direct answer.

Given the following:

I have an application that provides 2x1 widget that can calculate the
time remaining until sunrise.  I'd like to provide an option to
configure the widget to display the time until sunrise or the time until
sunset.  I'd like the user to be able to install two instances of the
widget, each configured for one of those options.  I'd like to provide a
1x1 widget in addition to the 2x1 widget so that the user can choose
which one to use.

Here are my questions:

1) How does one provide multiple options for widget sizes?  Do you just
   add additional meta-data sections under the Receiver entry of the
   manifest?

2) How does one set options that are unique to a given instance?  The app
   currently uses SharedPreferences for all of its configuration.  But
   if both instances are running in the same context, how can each
   widget know how it is configured as distinct from another instance?

3) The app uses a service that is started by an alarm in order to do the
   updating.  When the alarm is triggered, the service calculates the
   time remaining until the event and then it updates the remote view.
   Do both widgets share the same service?  I'd that is the case since
   it all one app with just multiple widget instances.  If that's the
   case, how can the service know which widget it is updating?

Thanks for any help!

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer