I already know that I can pass Bundled data through setResult from one
Activity back to another. However, suppose I have an global Activity
that can be launched from anywhere in my app since it is mapped to a
button that appears in my title bar in almost all of my activities.

Long story short, after it completes its user-driven process, I want
it to signal back to the very first activity in the back stack,
basically my Home activity, so that it updates the UI accordingly.

Part of the problem is that since if I use a BroadcastReceiver, it is
unregistered when my activity is in the background, and it will not
get the signal to refresh its data set.

What I want to achieve is the following:

>From either Home (ActivityA), or any other activity (Activity B, C,
etc...) that can open out my global activity (ActivityX), it should
find a way to call back to ActivityA without bringing it to the front.

Should I use FLAG_ACTIVITY_FORWARD_RESULT and if so, how should I
model it from my subsequent activities after Home. In other words, if
I launch a child activity from Home, should I launch it with
startActivityForResult with whatever request code I define and then
pass FLAG_ACTIVITY_FORWARD_RESULT when opening my global activity so
that the result will be set from there?

Also, suppose I launch a child activity from Home with a result, and
then from my child activity I add more to the stack, from which I open
ActivityX. Would the system still remember the result chain as long as
I opened the first child from Home with a result?