On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Dianne Hackborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You can look in I believe /data/anr/traces.txt to find a dump of the stacks
> of all processes and threads when the ANR happened, which should tell you
> what your thread was stuck doing at the time.

Ah, nice. You should put this in your documentation on ANR on your web pages.
Stupid question: how can I read this from the shell on my G1? It's
giving me file
perm error on /data (which isn't true of the emulator).

So I finally figured out what was going on. It had nothing to do with
HTTP posts,
thankfully. What it did have to do with was Formatter (or String.format). An
innocuous foreground loop using Formatter was taking 10 seconds for about
10kb worth of data. The same loop using string concats (ie, this+""+that) takes
100ms. What on earth is Formatter doing that takes 2 orders of magnitude
more time? Something's really out of whack.

Interesting tidbit2: per Mark's suggestion, I implemented the HTTP post using
both HttpURLConnection and DefaultHttpClient mechanisms. The DefaultHttpClient
method was about 5-10x *slower* than HttpURLConnection for identical data. Not
sure why that is... maybe using stringsBuffers to collect the post
data instead of
file io is a lose.

Mike