Sorry custom animations are broken when popping the back stack.  This will
be fixed in a future release.  Until then, you just won't be able to do this
-- you will need to either stick with the standard transitions, or manually
add/remove the fragments yourself.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Kelly Merrell <
kmerr...@mercuryintermedia.com> wrote:

> Related bug report here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15623&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars
>
> On Mar 16, 9:54 am, Kelly Merrell <kmerr...@mercuryintermedia.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I am having trouble using or understanding how popping
> > FragmentTransactions off of the back stack handles the custom
> > animations. Specifically, I expect it to call the "out" animation, but
> > it doesn't seem to.
> >
> > I have a simple method to handle a fragment transaction
> > (FragmentTransaction) where I add a fragment and apply a custom
> > transition so that it will fade-in/fade-out. I am also adding this to
> > the back stack so that the user can undo that transaction with the
> > back button, essentially navigating to the state before the fragment
> > was added.
> >
> > Everything works great moving forward, but when the user clicks the
> > back button, the transition animations do not reverse. What I expected
> > was that when the fragment got removed, it would use the fade out
> > animation. Instead it seems to pop out (without animation) and then
> > the container seems to fade in. I'm not sure that this is exactly what
> > is happening, but the fragment is definitely not fading out.
> >
> > Here is the method that handles the transaction:
> >
> > protected void changeFragment() {
> >     FragmentTransaction ft = fm.beginTransaction();
> >     ft.setCustomAnimations(android.R.anim.fade_in,
> > android.R.anim.fade_out);
> >     ft.add(R.id.fragment_container, new TestFragment());
> >     ft.addToBackStack(null);
> >     ft.commit();
> >
> > }
> >
> > My application uses the compatibility library to add fragment support,
> > but I assume this to be applicable to Honeycomb (android-11) as well.
> >
> > Does anyone know if I am just doing something wrong here or if I am
> > just expecting too much? Ideally, I would like to animate the
> > fragments similarly to how Gmail (on the Xoom) does in regards to
> > moving forward by clicking a message and then back by using the back
> > button. Preferably not having to override the back button
> > functionality and keep up with my own fragment state since I could
> > have several "transactions" that I would want to back out of and I am
> > not a fan of re-inventing wheels.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com