Yes, when you submit your app you can check the "DRM" checkbox or not, just
like you used to do with googles market.

There does not appear to be any LVL type of library for Amazon (that I was
able to find). All a crack will need to do is crack the Amazon market and
all apps you download are "cracked" as well. Not only that, but now I can't
have a single app that I can deploy to both app stores because I can't know
that at least one of them should pass a license check.

The best I could do in the short term is to know which market installed the
app and do the license check our not (if it was Amazon), but I have not been
able to discover if that is possible besides doing a check to see if the
Google Market exists or not.
Other than that, I can't see any way for the two to live together in my code
without writing my own license code, which has its own problems.

I suspect that since Amazon is used to only having their digital content on
proprietary devices that they completely control, and nobody has access to
anything unless they have paid, that they are expecting the DRM approach to
work for them... my guess is that there is already a crack for the Amazon
market.

Secondary problems with market links are another issue. Once again, you need
to be able to tell which market you installed from in order to adjust your
links to the correct market.

IMO - If Amazon really wants people to get serious about their market, they
need to a) make it more compatible or b) make it generate so much more
revenue that I won't bother with the Google Market.