Going to throw a shameless plug...

If you're looking to implement the action bar design pattern on all
platforms in your app I have written a library which automatically abstracts
and marshalls interactions to either the native ActionBar on 3.0+ or a
custom third-party control on pre-3.0. You can find it at
https://github.com/JakeWharton/ActionBarSherlock/.

If you only want the ActionBar on 3.0+, simple omit passing in a custom
handler and your applications layout will be shown untouched on pre-3.0
devices.

There are a few samples as well as a good bit of documentation. Let me know
how you fare if you choose to use it.