This thread has focused on the tablet screen as a distinguisher.
Another real problem is that tablets from a specific carrier (such as
the T-Mobile Galaxy), cannot make a phone call.
I have found no way to distinguish this characteristic of tablets.

What I have tried:
1. catching an exception from start_activity using the ACTION_CALL
intent ( no exception)
2. TelephonyManager.getPhoneType() returns a valid state (GSM)
3. TelephonyManager.getCallState() return a valid state (IDLE)

Any ideas?

Olaf Lubeck