Jake,

If you need to remove the margins - well, remove the margins. They are in the image, should be easy with any graphics program, preferably you would make the image itself take a larger portion of the canvas.

Using negative values for padding or margins are, AFAIK, not supported (which would be another way, if it was possible).

As for transparency, those template backgrounds definitely have transparency in them. If it's not showing up, perhaps you have other images or view attributes that get in the way, or it could be that you saved them with transparency disabled.

Finally, you might want to make a 1x1 background yourself, so it doesn't have to be scaled at runtime, and that your widget looks more crisp. A nine-patch drawable would let you share the background between 1x1 and other sizes.

-- Kostya