   KV> As far as Android is concerned, IntentService knows nothing about
   KV> home screen widgets.

   KV> Since you know which widget receivers' onUpdate was called, pass
   KV> this information to the service (e.g. by setting an intent
   KV> extra).

Correct.  The IntentService has to do the following to gain access to
the RemoteView:

  RemoteViews views = new RemoteViews( context.getPackageName(),
        R.layout.thelayoutname );

But the value R.layout is dependent on which widget receiver is
triggering the IntentService.  The IntentService does have to know
something about home screen widget since it has to know which widget to
update with the populated remote view.  I was hoping maybe the
AppWidgetManager would be able to tell me something or that there would
be some other trick.

I guess I can extend my Broadcast Receiver so that each onUpdate method
adds a piece of information to the Intent.  I had been thinking that I
needed two Intents; I forgot that I could just pass data as an extra.

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer