The best way I have found to handle this is: be ready to be killed
_in_any_moment_. This may seem unlike to happed, but still you must be
ready. How? By saving your state when your onSavedInstanceState() is
called, gracefully releasing resources when onDestroy() is called, and
restoring the state when onCreate() is called.

This is a superset of the problem that you are describing, but I have
found to be easier to think in this way than trying to solve every
particular scenario.