Taking a step back here.  I think if I solve the Dialog itself, the
Window background drawable may not be an issue. Saying that because
once I created the 9-patch with correct transparency and Content and
Patch settings, it looks as it should.

So, trying to get the dialog layout (view) right first.

Code:
                // 1 - specify the layout (pretty simple stuff)
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://
schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
                   android:id="@+id/layout_root0"
                   android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                   android:layout_height="fill_parent"
                   android:background="#fff80000"    <!-- gives me a red bar
at the top of the dialog -->

                           <ListView
                  android:id="@+id/shareList"
                  android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                  android:layout_height="fill_parent"
                  android:background="@drawable/tenth"  <!-- my 9-patch.
Correctly
displays as expected -->

                           </ListView>
                 </LinearLayout>

                 // 2 - inflate and populate the View
          LayoutInflater factory = LayoutInflater.from(this);
          final View textEntryView = factory.inflate(R.layout.bc, null);
          ListView shareList =
(ListView)textEntryView.findViewById(R.id.shareList);
          shareList.setAdapter(gla);

                  // 3. Now, display the dialog (turn off the title
bar)
          AlertDialog.Builder builder = new AlertDialog.Builder(this);
          builder.setCancelable(true)
                        .setView(textEntryView);

          mAlert = builder.create();
          mAlert.requestWindowFeature(Window.FEATURE_NO_TITLE);
          mAlert.show();

This code will produce a nice alert dialog with a perfect 9-patch
surrounding the ListView (options items) and a red bar at the top of
the ListView.

**Problem** -- Still have a "border" around the LinearLayout. There is
a thin black horizontal bar at the top *and* a 1-pixel frame around
the whole thing.  Its that "frame" around the dialog I want to get rid
of.

Is that a remnant of the LinearLayout that wraps the ListView?  Do I
need to specify some sort of "no border" attribute to the
LinearLayout?  Or is it a remnant of the Dialog? Do I need to do
something beyond the requestWindowFeature (no title) statement?