Be that as it may, if I tell users of my app that something will
happen if they push the search button but something else happens
instead, it makes my app look broken on that device that changed the
convention for that button.

However, if a manufacturer wants to make another super special button
that doesn't have an Android platform convention, great.

Or maybe I'm thinking about the search button in the wrong way.

Doug