It's not a "Widget" like an AppWidget. It's an activity that starts
when the screen is off, similar to the alarm clock popup.
Check out FLAG_DISMISS_KEYGUARD and FLAG_SHOW_WHEN_LOCKED.

HTC customized the actual keyguard to pull layout resources from an
APK (but only their own APK, except on the EVO 3D maybe).

-Kevin