I agree with TreKing: you have defined your problem so large that you
will have to understand a huge amount of stuff just to get started.

Decompose your problem into smaller steps, each with a meaningful
goal.  That way you can deliver something small, then improve on it
and allow your understanding to grow at a steady pace.

For Example:

1. Decide on a piece of interesting outdoor artwork that is near to
you.  Find its co-ordinates.
2. Write an app that will display the location of that artwork on a
map.
3. Enhance your app so that it will display and update the phone
location as well as the artwork location.
4. Enhance the app so that pressing a button brings up a text screen
containing information about the artwork.
5. Enhance the app so that pressing a button brings up a text screen
and an audio commentary
6. Enhance the app so that the button appears only when the phone is
within 20 meters of the artwork
7. Enhance the app .... you get the idea

You should have a clear idea of where you want to get to in the end -
but reduce the task down to much smaller pieces that are much more
achievable.  It would be better to have a project that does some
simple stuff well rather than a lot of stuff badly or not at all.

Good luck.