Chronos wrote:
  I am trying to access the contact list and display it in a CUSTOM
> ListView (ListActivity is not an option). Unfortunately the activity
> fails with a NullPointerException :( This may be a simple issue - have
> I overlooked something ? Help appreciated ... (I have tried the code
> with a ListActivity and got valid results - therefore I assume, the
> Cursor instantiation is correct)

<snip>

>       @Override
>       public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
>       {
>               super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
>               setContentView(R.layout.mainmenu);

Here you load res/layout/mainmenu.xml.

>               recommendationList = (ListView) findViewById
> (R.id.recommendationList);

Here you try to find recommendationList in res/layout/mainmenu.xml.

> Recommendation.xml:

Here you say the layout you're aiming for is res/layout/Recommendation.xml.

>       <ListView xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
> android:id="@+id/recommendationList"
>               android:layout_width="fill_parent"
>               android:layout_height="fill_parent"/>
> </LinearLayout>

Here is a recommendationList in res/layout/Recommendation.xml.

If all those are correct, then you may be loading the wrong layout,
which would make your recommendationList variable null after the
findViewById() call.

Also, I recommend all resources (layouts, etc.) be named in all
lowercase, since on some platforms you can have a Recommendation.xml and
a recommendation.xml, but Android ignores case in the R.java generation,
which may cause confusion.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com