mscwd01 wrote:
 > Hope I havent confused you ;)

No, but you have made my head hurt.

 > Oh btw I purchased your "The Busy Coder's Guide to Android
 > Development" book - its very helpful ;)

My head feels better now... ;-)

> However what i'm asking is, is there a way to kill off Activity2
> completely when pressing the Back button to return to Activity1 and
> return full control to the first map?

Well, you already tried the stock answer of using finish(). With your
kill-my-process hack, you're heading down in a direction which, on my
map of Android, is labeled "Here There Be Dragons"...

 > I believe I am making more and
> more map objects when I launch Activity2 again and again and not
> releasing resources when I finish with it?

Or they're just not getting garbage collected fast enough or something.

I have a suggestion. I have no idea how crazy it will be for you to
utilize if it works.

In Activity1, temporarily replace launching Activity2 with a
startActivity() that launches the built-in Maps application. You should
be able to do this through:

startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("geo:40,-75")));

which will give you a map of the NJ side of the Philadelphia suburbs.

Now, try bouncing back and forth between your Activity1 and the Maps
application, like you were bouncing between Activity1 and Activity2.

If things fail as before, I think you may just be screwed, at least in
terms of rapidly flipping between two MapView instances. They may make
too much garbage.

If, however, this holds up, it may be you can only effectively have one
MapView per *application* if you want to rapidly switch between them. In
that case, your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to split
your project into two separate applications. This would suck mightily,
particularly if you were looking to deploy via a market, but it's
possible it is the best way for you to get two stable MapViews under
your control.

If it were me, I'd try very very hard to get by with one map, somehow.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com