Your code, as far as I can tell, runs inside onCreate. Android UI framework
is designed so that it expects callbacks like onCreate and others to return
control to Android within a reasonable amount of time.

Your code prevents Android from doing things in the UI, including showing
toasts (or dialogs), because it ties up the UI thread with your work
function.

Study Application fundamentals in the SDK documentation, specifically
information about threads, it does a good job at explaining this.

To run networking code, create a background thread. An easy way to do it is
to use AsyncTask, a generic class provided by the Android framework.

davidt...@gmail.com>