First create a class file not an activity and extend it with linearlayout
This will create your custom view .

Now lets suppose the package of your custom view is org.customView and class
is mylayoutfile.class

Then in the main.xml you can add this layout file just as you add a button,
textview or any widget but the important thing is how to write the name of
the widget.
Name of the widget will be the complete name of your custom view java file
like :-

<org.customView.mylayoutfile android:id=""
android:layout_width=""...............  />

instantiate this id in your main class

Dont forget to add constructors like :-

public NavigationBar(Context context, AttributeSet attrs) {
        super(context, attrs);
    }

    public NavigationBar(Activity context) {
        super(context);
    }

This will be it now you just need to know how to iniflate it in your custom
view class :)