I'm seeing that too and there are other posts on the forum reporting
it.  It is either a bug or we need something extra in the layout
declarations or manifest. But screens that size aren't really
documented yet.  My splash screen is fine and when I select the button
to take me to the next one the entire screen, not just my app screen,
is upside down (including the title bar, icons, etc).

I'm running a 64-bit AMD three core machine with Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit,
4 GB memory.  The emulator comes up fairly fast (1-2 minutes) and is
responsive.