I reinstalled from scratch using google api 2.2 and still have the
same issue.  I know I have my xml correct

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent">

  <com.google.android.maps.MapView
                 android:id="@+id/mapview"
                 android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                 android:layout_height="fill_parent"
                 android:enabled="true"
                                 android:clickable="true"
                 android:apiKey="0tjt62ZV-
SoZXMm8_6o6PXZVKjcgfi2YJDWWldg"
                 />
</LinearLayout>

W/System.err(20815): java.io.IOException: Server returned: 3
W/System.err(20815):    at
android_maps_conflict_avoidance.com.google.googlenav.map.BaseTileRequest.readResponseData(BaseTileRequest.java:
115)
W/System.err(20815):    at
android_maps_conflict_avoidance.com.google.googlenav.map.MapService
$MapTileRequest.readResponseData(MapService.java:1473)
W/System.err(20815):    at
android_maps_conflict_avoidance.com.google.googlenav.datarequest.DataRequestDispatcher.processDataRequest(DataRequestDispatcher.java:
1117)
W/System.err(20815):    at
android_maps_conflict_avoidance.com.google.googlenav.datarequest.DataRequestDispatcher.serviceRequests(DataRequestDispatcher.java:
994)
W/System.err(20815):    at
android_maps_conflict_avoidance.com.google.googlenav.datarequest.DataRequestDispatcher
$DispatcherServer.run(DataRequestDispatcher.java:1702)
W/System.err(20815):    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1019)