Hi,

The permissions you need to receive and send SMS are
   <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS" />
   <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SEND_SMS" />

About binarys SMS, AFAIK is not possible to emulate binanies SMS from
DDMS. Maybe there is an option via telnet (doing a telnet to the
emulator port, it opens an emulator console..look there if there is an
appropiate command for binaries sms)..but I have not checked it (I did
that by means of another phone emulator)

About receiving binary SMS, I was trying to send them using a
port..but in the emulator I was not able to receive them by port...But
I think it is just an emulator problem, because Joe says this works on
the G1.

Cheers