I agree, and I can adapt my code to use the selected item instead of
the selected view...but it is worth noting that the consequence of
this is that seemingly identical layouts can yield very different
behavior.  In this case, two layouts containing invisible items can
return either a valid view or a null, which is both dangerous and
somewhat arbitrary...not random of course, but slightly arbitrary.
I'm just pointing that out, I'm not arguing against the optimization
necessarily.