> It is in most cases, far better to instantly, irrevocably, fail. Don't let
> that bad data get any further.

Very well written post, and I totally agree with in an ideal world.

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world, but in a world where
if the app doesn't do as our users want, we end up with a bunch of 1-
stars and our sales will suffer.  So sometime, you have to do
something reasonable with bad data.  My app has to deal with this ALL
the time.