On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Keith Wiley <kbwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...and to wrap up the philosophical argument that this thread
> unintentionally flared, I really don't see why double or triple tap
> long presses should be expected to exhibit redundant behavior with
> that of single tap long presses.

That seems reasonable. Your opening line of the thread ("I want to
intercept an EditText long-press and do something with it other than
present a contextual menu") didn't explain that, and I misunderstood
where you were trying to clarify ("I want to provide additional
functionality on double or triple tap long presses,
but it won't work if the contextual menu is forced upon all long presses").

BTW, just so I'm on the right page: a double-tap long-press would be
tap + long-press? And triple-tap long-press is tap + tap + long-press?

And is this a DDR game applied to an EditText? If so, did you license
any cool music? :-)

Regardless, my apologies for misreading that line.

> Mark, I have always appreciated your input and I'm sorry my original
> question offended you.

It's more that I've been running into UI-pattern-jacking a lot over on
StackOverflow in recent months, so I'm overly sensitive on the issue.

> I hope you aren't too offended by all of this.

Not at all. I'm more concerned about *you* being offended, since I'm
the one who misread the key line.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android 3.0 Programming Books: http://commonsware.com/books