I think you are looking for BroadcastReceiver (More info @
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/content/BroadcastReceiver.html
) .  Try something like this in your application's onCreate() ...

// -- Sample WiFi implementation

        IntentFilter i = new IntentFilter();
        i.addAction
(WifiManager.SCAN_RESULTS_AVAILABLE_ACTION);
        registerReceiver(new BroadcastReceiver(){
                public void onReceive(Context c, Intent i){
                        // Code to execute when SCAN_RESULTS_AVAILABLE_ACTION
event
occurs
                        WifiManager w = (WifiManager) c.getSystemService
(Context.WIFI_SERVICE);
                        w.getScanResults(); // Returns a <list> of scanResults
                }
        }, i );

        // Now you can call this and it should execute the
broadcastReceiver's onReceive()
        WifiManager wm = (WifiManager) getSystemService
(Context.WIFI_SERVICE);
        boolean a = wm.startScan();

// -- End Wifi Sample

NOTE: I don't think wiFi stuff works in the emulator, and you must set
the correct Wifi permissions in your Application's manifest for it to
work on an actual device.

-K